Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and heir to the British throne, was reportedly questioned by a senior member of the U.K. police in 2005 about the death of his ex-wife, Princess Diana.
Lord Stevens, the former commissioner of London’s Metropolitan Police, has told the Daily Mail that he spoke to the prince about a note that Diana had written in 1995 saying she would die as a result of “brake failure.”
Diana died in a car crash in Paris in 1997 along with her lover, Dodi Al-Fayed, in a tragedy that would become a focus of many conspiracy theories, with some accusing the British royal family of planning her death. However, there is no evidence for this claim.
Stevens questioned Charles at St. James Palace, a royal residence, on December 6, 2005 as part of a three-year investigation into the princess’ death, called Operation Paget.
A police senior investigator, Dave Douglas, and Charles’ private secretary Sir Michael Peat were also said to be present.
Diana had written a note in 1995 and left it in a pantry at Kensington Palace to be found by her then butler, Paul Burrell. Charles and Diana divorced in 1996.
In the note, Diana claimed that Charles would arrange a car accident so that he could marry his son’s former nanny, Tiggy Legge-Bourke.
“This particular phase in my life is the most dangerous — my husband is planning an accident in my car. Brake failure and serious head injury in order to make the path clear for him to marry Tiggy,” Diana wrote.
“Camilla is nothing but a decoy so we are being used by the man in every sense of the word,” she wrote.
The Prince of Wales had a long-running affair with Camilla Parker-Bowles and would go on to marry her in 2005.
Though the existence of the note has been public knowledge since a newspaper report in 2003, Stevens has confirmed for the first time that Charles was interviewed in relation to it. However, the police interview took place two years into the investigation.
“Yes, allegations had been made about the Prince of Wales and other royals but we had to find or examine the [existing] evidence before we approached him with formal questions,” Stevens told the Mail. “We found no other evidence to support the scenario suggested in Diana’s note.”
“We were left with the note, which in itself was not enough to make Charles a formal suspect. If he chose to assist Paget, he would be doing so voluntarily as a potential witness. We would not be interviewing him under caution,” Stevens said.
Charles chose to co-operate, though his father, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, chose not to speak to the police. Dodi Al-Fayed’s father, Mohamed Al-Fayed, had accused Philip of involvement in his son’s death, though no evidence for this claims was ever found. The duke died earlier this year at age 99.
The interview with Charles was conducted in secrecy and Stevens showed him Diana’s note and asked him why she might have written it. Charles said he hadn’t known about the note until it appeared in the media and had never discussed it with her.
“No, I did not know it existed,” he said, said the report.
Charles’ witness statement was non-standard, according to the Mail, in that it didn’t contain the usual caveat that he might be prosecuted for knowingly providing false information. Instead, it was a statement of truth.
“At the end of the day he was incredibly co-operative because he had nothing to hide,” Stevens said.
Under U.K. law, the written copy of Charles’ interview will not be released to the public until 2038, by which time he will be 90-years-old.
Newsweek has asked Clarence House for comment.