Violent Shotts Prison inmate threw boiling water in officer’s face

A cruel inmate scalded a prison officer by throwing a kettle of hot water at his face during a sustained campaign of violence.

Anthony Elliott, asked for guards to attend his cell in HMP Shotts, but when the door was opened the vicious 29-year-old launched the contents of the kettle at the man before threatening him with a blade.

The prison officer was rushed to Wishaw General Hospital for treatment to partial thickness burns.

The Lanarkshire Live app is available to download now.

Get all the news from your area – as well as features, entertainment, sport and the latest on Lanarkshire’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic – straight to your fingertips, 24/7.

The free download features the latest breaking news and exclusive stories, and allows you to customise your page to the sections that matter most to you.

Head to the App Store and never miss a beat in Lanarkshire – iOS Android

Months earlier Elliott had been found with a blade welded to the head of a toothbrush.

He had also spat at a prison nurse after threatening other staff members.

Elliott later took “umbrage” at comments made during a meeting with prison workers and spat at another guard.

The problematic prisoner, who is serving a life sentence, was transferred to HMP Glenochil in Clackmannanshire, where he torched his cell on three separate occasions by setting mattresses and bedding alight.

The thug caused almost £800 worth of damage to the cells and to smoke alarm systems due to the intensity of the blazes.

Elliot appeared via video link from HMP Glenochil at Hamilton Sheriff Court and admitted assaults, threatening and abusive behaviour, possession of weapons and wilful fire-raising between February and November last year.

He was handed 45 months by Sheriff Mungo Bovey QC but told the term would run alongside his current order for lifelong restriction.

Describing the moment the officer was attacked, depute fiscal Jennifer Cunningham said: “Prison officers attended following a request from the accused on the telephone.

“[He] opened the door and the accused exited at speed and threw the contents of a kettle at his face.

“He then produced a bladed implement and pointed it towards the prison officers who drew their batons and the accused backed away.

“The accused then held the implement to his own neck and sank to the floor.

“This was an improvised weapon with a metal blade and he then threw down the blade and was escorted away.

“[The prison officer] was taken to hospital where it was found he had sustained blistering, superficial and partial thickness burns to his face and was treated by being given cream and doctors were of the opinion a full recovery would be made.”

Flanked by two security guards in full riot gear, Elliott told the court: “I believe a custodial sentence is inevitable so it doesn’t make a bit of difference.

“It will have no effect and will be as if it didn’t ever happen.

“I have no mitigation or excuses because I really don’t care to be honest.”

Sheriff Bovey said the sentence would have been 60 months had he not pled guilty.

Elliott, who spends his time in jail in segregation away from other convicts, has been behind bars since he was 16.

He has a string of convictions for repeatedly attacking prison staff and other inmates.

In 2017 he admitted slashing two prison officers in HMP Perth using a metal blade made from a mop.

Elliott also had his jail term increased in 2013 after claiming he wanted to eat a sheriff in a letter from his prison cell.

*Don’t miss the latest headlines from around Lanarkshire. Sign up to our newsletters here.

And did you know Lanarkshire Live is on Facebook? Head on over and give us a like and share!

Most Related Links :
todayuknews Governmental News Finance News

Source link

Back to top button