Us-news

Dad had heart attack after drinking 12 energy drinks every day for a year

A dad who suffered a heart attack after drinking 12 energy drinks every single day for a year is now seeking to warn about excessive consumption of the fizzy product.

According to The Mirror, Lee Kamen collapsed from a heart attack after drinking between eight and 12 cans a day.

After a store sold his 10-year-old daughter an energy drink can, Lee is now keen to educate both adults and children about the harm that can be caused from excessively drinking them.

Lee said that he poured the energy drink which his daughter purchased straight down the sink.

He has worked his whole life in the bar and hospitality industry and owns The Vault Bar which is located in Hull.

But he said the drinks should be banned and appealed to shop owners to be responsible about selling them to under-16s.

Many supermarkets regulate themselves and refuse to sell them to children, but there is currently no law against it.

Lee, 53, from Hull, East Yorkshire, had a heart attack in 2017, despite not drinking or smoking, and doctors quizzed him about drinking energy drinks.

Speaking to Hull Live, he said: “I was on 8 to 12 a day at the time, I was drinking Red Bull and Monster, I used to go to Makro for the pub and would buy cases of 24 cans and just drink them like any other drink.

“I was working a lot and drank them to keep me going. This probably went on for about a year.

“One day I collapsed with a heart attack and had to have a stent fitted, I am now on medication for life due to those dangerous drinks.

“When I was in hospital after the heart attack, the doctor told me the energy drink consumption was the cause. I didn’t have a clue there was anything wrong with drinking them until then.

“It was a hell of a shock at the time, but now I am passionate about this issue.”

Lee said his 10-year-old jumped in his car after school with a can in her hand”

He said: “I took it straight off her and poured it straight down the drain.”

The publican informed her school, who emailed parents within minutes of the phone call.

The school reminded them their children should not be consuming the high-sugar, high caffeine drinks which can interfere with their behaviour and physical health.

Children and adolescents aged 12 to 18-years-old should not drink more than 100mg of caffeine a day, which is equivalent to a cup of coffee.

Lee Kamen poured an energy drink down the drain after finding his daughter with one

Energy drinks contain from about 50 mg to a whopping 500 mg of caffeine per serving.

Increased caffeine levels consumed by children can cause a wide range of health consequences which are serious enough to need medical help.

Lee added: “Shops should not be selling them to kids. Large supermarkets won’t, and the smaller shops need to do the same.”

Former prime minister Theresa May attempted to make the banning of energy drinks for sale to under-16s a new law before she left Number 10 but the law appears to not have been passed by Boris Johnson.

The Government consulted on energy drinks in 2019 and 93 per cent of respondents said businesses should be banned from selling them to under-16s.

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.



Most Related Links :
todayuknews Governmental News Finance News

Source link

Back to top button