Cop left scarred for life after trying to help man having seizure

A police officer suffered a wound above his eye and is scarred for life after a thug kicked a cell van door in his face.

PC Dayle Cleland and colleagues had been trying to help Darren Glover by taking him to hospital after a suspected seizure.

Glover, 29, was jailed for 18 months at Hamilton Sheriff Court today.

The Lanarkshire Live app is available to download now.

Get all the news from your area – as well as features, entertainment, sport and the latest on Lanarkshire’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic – straight to your fingertips, 24/7.

The free download features the latest breaking news and exclusive stories, and allows you to customise your page to the sections that matter most to you.

Head to the App Store and never miss a beat in Lanarkshire – iOS Android

He admitted assaulting PC Cleland to his injury and permanent disfigurement at University Hospital Wishaw on August 5 last year.

Glover, of Blantyre, further admitted punching PC Heather McLachlan and trying to headbutt and spit on PC Graeme MacMillan.

Jennifer McCabe, prosecuting, said officers went to an address in Donaldson Street, Hamilton, about 10pm.

An ambulance was called for the householder while, “for several reasons”, Glover was handcuffed.

He turned and punched PC McLachlan, leaving her with a swollen lip.

Ms McCabe stated: “The accused was restrained. He was sweating and showing signs of delirium.

“He was taken to hospital, but when officers opened the cell van door he spat towards them.

“PC Cleland started to close the door again, but Glover kicked it with both feet, causing it to strike him on the head.

“The officer sustained a 2cm cut to his eyebrow that was closed with glue. It will leave scarring.”

Glover also admitted threatening or abusive behaviour in Bute Street, Hamilton, on February 1 last year.

The court heard that he and his brother went to a house there because of concerns about their sister.

Her partner came out and there was a confrontation during which Darren Glover threw two Buckfast bottles at the man, missing him narrowly each time.

Defence agent Neal McShane said his client has a significant drink problem and his consumption has led to seizures.

Referring to the police assaults, Mr McShane told the court: “He went to the house in Donaldson Street to check on the female householder whose partner had been remanded in custody.

“He believes he took some form of seizure and came round to find himself handcuffed.

“He felt excessive force had been used by the police, but there is no excuse for his behaviour and he apologises.”

Passing sentence, Sheriff Andrew McIntyre told Glover: “These are serious charges, particularly the assault involving kicking the cell van door. That was extremely nasty.

“Police should be able to go about their job without encountering this.”

Most Related Links :
todayuknews Governmental News Finance News

Source link

Back to top button