A woman ended up in intensive care fighting for her life after an all inclusive holiday she’d dreamed of turned into a nightmare.
Twin sisters Anna and Jess Doherty had jetted off on the 10-day trip to Egypt at the cost of £1,500 for the four-star resort.
Four days into the break things began to go badly wrong for Anna.
Speaking on 5Star’s TV show ‘When All Inclusives Go Horribly Wrong’, which aired on Tuesday, June 22, she spoke about how close she came to death.
“It was about the fourth day into the holiday all of a sudden I started to get really bad abdominal pains,” Anna said.
Have you got a holiday story to share? Email [email protected]
Jess, her twin, said that they had all experienced some tummy trouble, but Anna had been hit much worse.
At one point she broke down in tears on a private beach, prompting a trip to the clinic inside the hotel.
There a doctor and nurse discharged her after a glucose injection and with a prescription for antibiotics, she claimed on the show.
Anna said: “The tablets they gave me were actually banned in the UK due to the severe side effects.”
Anna spent the rest of the 10-day holiday bed-bound before flying back to the UK, where her condition quickly deteriorated.
She said: “I did start to gradually get worse, I was being sick nonstop.”
Anna was rushed to the Royal Liverpool Hospital and placed in intensive care for 11 days after her ‘whole body shut down’.
Jess said: “I remember walking through and just bursting into tears, all her organs were failing, she was on a machine to help her breathe – I did think maybe we could lose her at this moment in time.”
Anna said: “It was actually a scary feeling because no one knew why I was so ill.
“I was thinking to myself, ‘Am I going to make it? Am I going to die?'”
Following extensive tests, medical staff at the hospital found she was suffering from ‘haemolytic uraemic syndrome’ – commonly caused by a complication from an infection with E coli 0157.
Anna underwent extensive blood plasma treatment in hospital but it still took months for her to feel better.
An expert on the show advised viewers to always drink bottled water while on holiday and ensure all foods are fully cooked to reduce the risk of E coli infections.
They also suggested that having up-to-date insurance was key.
Anna added: “I definitely wouldn’t go on an all inclusive holiday again just down to the fact of how ill I was from the holiday in Egypt and I would never want anyone to experience what I went through.”