Less than six weeks after suffering a broken tibia in his trilogy with Dustin Poirier at UFC 264, Conor McGregor is able to walk without a cast or boot on his left leg
Conor McGregor is confident he is ahead of schedule in his recovery from the broken leg he suffered against Dustin Poirier.
McGregor broke his left tibia in the closing moments of the first round in his trilogy fight with Poirier and had a titanium rod fitted from his knee to his ankle the following day.
The former two-weight UFC champion has remained in Los Angeles since his surgery and is confident he is making good progress after a check-up with his doctor.
“Scan went well. Scan went very well. To be back on the bike, I’m back on the bike before he said I was going to be able to bear weight,” McGregor said during an Instagram live.
USA TODAY Sports)
“I’m rocking (and) well ahead of schedule. Let’s keep it going. … It was good news. Good news at the docs. I think this bone is back together, to be honest.
“The ankle is feeling great. … I’ve got me flip-flops on, I have. I’m out of the boot. I’ve got the flip-flops on, so that’s a good sign. … I’m still jacked as well, bro. It ain’t over. We’re only warming up. Still fresh. Still untouched. You still can’t get me.”
UFC president Dana White believes McGregor will make a return to the cage next summer. He was set to compete in a wheelchair boxing match with impressionist Al Foran on September 11 but was forced to postpone.
And whilst happy with the progress he is making, McGregor is wary of following the example of UFC middleweight Chris Weidman who had to undergo a second surgery on his leg injury last week.
“I’m being careful with it. I’m listening to what the doctors are saying. Everything else, I can’t physically do, I’m not pushing it too far after seeing what happened to Weidman recently,” he added.
“It’s in the back of my head that I go in there and maybe they say, ‘Oh, it’s not connected again. You have to go through this again.’
“Look what happened to Weidman. I don’t think that’s the case with me. I know that’s not the case with me. I am a little bit nervous.”
Following his win against Donald Cerrone last January, McGregor became the first fighter in UFC history to record knockout victories in three different weight divisions.
And the 33-year-old has teased a jump up to middleweight when he returns next year.
“You know, I’m watching all these fools talk. You know that little middleweight, that little former middleweight Kelvin Gastelum is 5’9” with a 71” inch reach,” he continued.
“I’m actually bigger physically set than Kelvin and he’s fighting at middleweight. I’m going to just keep going up. I don’t know what weight I am now. … But I’ll see what I am on the scales and just go from there. Day-by-day.”