At least 38 people have been killed during a ‘disastrous’ crush at a religious bonfire festival in Israel on Friday.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described the tragedy as a “heavy disaster”.
Medics confirmed that dozens of people had been hurt at the Lag B’Omer event in northern Mount Meron, where tens of thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jews were gathered.
They were there at the tomb of a 2nd-century sage for annual commemorations that include all-night prayer and dance.
The Magen David Adom ambulance service said around 20 people had life-threatening injuries after the stampede.
On Twitter, Netanyahu called it a “heavy disaster” and added: “We are all praying for the wellbeing of the casualties.”
According to Haaretz dozens of people have been injured, and six are in a critical condition, 18 in serious condition, two in moderate condition and 39 sustaining light injuries.
“Sadly there are fatalities,” the director of Hatzala’s medical division Avi Marcus was reported to have said.
Reportedly, the stampede was caused after revellers slipped on steps, police said, causing dozens more people to fall over.
One un-named witness was reported to have said: “It happened in a split second; people just fell, trampling each other. It was a disaster.”
Officers are continuing to try to evacuate the tens of thousands of revellers who are at Mount Meron.
Mail Online reports that 10,000 people were authorised to gather at the site but organisers said more than 650 busses had been chartered from all over the country and that 30,000 pilgrims had been brought to Meron.
We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.
Please check back regularly for updates on this developing story here at Mirror.co.uk.