Shopping

Oscar De La Hoya vows to “beat the s***” out of Vitor Belfort in comeback fight

Oscar De La Hoya insists he had no intention of fighting former UFC champion Vitor Belfort in an exhibition bout.

The executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, Andy Foster, approved the fight last week after De La Hoya and Belfort both passed comprehensive medical testing.

The fight, which was originally announced as an exhibition, will be eight two minute rounds and take place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Talking recently with MMA Fighting, De Le Hoya said whilst he has the utmost respect for Belfort he vows to inflict some serious damage on him come September 11.

“This is not a game. We don’t play boxing. We don’t play UFC. We don’t play MMA. I literally said if we’re going to do this, let’s do it for real. Let’s not do this song and dance. Let’s not do these exhibitions that we’re tired of,” De La Hoya said.

De La Hoya and Belfort face off at the press conference for their fight

“This is the real thing. The fact that Belfort feels great. Look at him. I feel amazing. I feel literally better than ever. The fact that we both agree that it’s going to be a real fight. It’s going to be a lot of fun.

“I have no sh*t to talk about Belfort whatsoever. I respect you, brother, like there’s no tomorrow.

“But I’ll tell you one thing — we’re going to kick the s*** out of each other. That’s one thing for sure. That’s what I’m actually looking forward to. Call me crazy but I’m looking forward to it.

The 48-year-old De La Hoya hasn’t fought since losing by stoppage to eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao in 2008. ‘The Golden Boy’ was linked with exhibitions against Floyd Mayweather and Canelo Alvarez before signing to fight Belfort last month.

Who wins out of De La Hoya and Belfort? Comment below

“Yes, do I want to fight Floyd again? Absolutely. Would I want to fight ‘Canelo’ [Alvarez]? Why not? If I get knocked out, I get knocked out. At least it was a fun fight. That’s my mentality,” he said.

And on the fight, De La Hoya said he misses the thrill of fighting: “I miss that getting hit. For some strange reason, I miss getting hit so come Sept. 11, it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

Belfort will compete inside a boxing ring for the first time in 15 years, winning his first and only appearance in the sport by stoppage against Josemario Neves.

‘The Phenom’ last fought in the UFC against Lyoto Machida in 2018, losing by first round KO. Belfort did sign a contract with another ONE Championship the following year, but he parted ways without fighting for the promotion in 2020.



Most Related Links :
todayuknews Governmental News Finance News

Source link

Back to top button