Manchester United are currently unbeaten in the 2021/22 Premier League campaign so far, though their 1-1 draw with Southampton last weekend highlighted that they may need reinforcements to mount a title challenge
Manchester United’s business this summer has been concise but smart, they have brought in players where they really needed them.
The Red Devils finally managed to capture Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho last month on a five-year contract as they look to build a squad that can challenge for titles in the next few seasons.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has also brought in a much-needed central defender in the shape of four-time Champions League winner Raphael Varane.
Some believe that the defensive midfield partnership of Fred and Scott McTominay needs to be improved upon, but United’s lack of business in that area suggests that the manager is happy with that pair.
But is he happy with his overall squad with just under a week left of the transfer window? Or, will we see Solskjaer’s side dip back into the window and continue to strengthen?
Diallo has offers on the table
Nineteen-year-old winger Amad Diallo has had plenty of interest in this transfer window and he is weighing up where he wants to spend next season on loan.
According to Fabrizio Romano, United have received offers from Switzerland, Germany and other English clubs to take Diallo off of their hands for the 2021/22 campaign.
Of the clubs in the UK, Sheffield United and Crystal Palace are the two clubs that want to sign the Ivorian, and Romano believes the latter club are most likely to be successful in their pursuit.
Speaking to The United Stand, the Italian journalist said: “From what I am told, he wants to play Premier League football, so let’s see if Sheffield will be able to change his mind. But he wants to play Premier League football, so Crystal Palace could be one of the options – and not only Crystal Palace because also other clubs are enquiring about the situation.”
PSG’s Pogba pursuit is not over
The transfer window has taken another twist over the last few days as Real Madrid have had a bid €160m bid rejected by PSG for Kylian Mbappe.
If they come back with a second offer that it is accepted, ESPN has revealed that Les Parisiens will renew their interest in midfielder Paul Pogba.
The Frenchman is heading into the final year of his United contract and is yet to begin negotiations about a new one at Old Trafford, though after PSG’s initial interest died down it was suspected that he would remain in Manchester.
If Pogba decided against staying with the Red Devils then the club are keen to sell him as soon as possible to avoid losing their record signing for free in 2022.
Last month the Metro revealed that PSG believe they will be able to convince United to let Pogba leave for as little as £43m, under half of what they paid for the 28-year-old in 2016.
United miss out on second English winger
United have missed out on signing the ‘next Jadon Sancho’ as he has signed a contract extension with PSV despite interest from some of Europe’s biggest clubs.
Noni Madueke, 19, currently plays for PSV and has burst onto the scene in impressive style with his acceleration, mazy runs and ability with both feet capturing the interest of top clubs.
But the Dutch club have managed to persuade Madueke to stay put as it was revealed on Wednesday afternoon that he had signed a four-year contract extension with the 24-time Eredivisie winners.
According to the Daily Mail, United, Liverpool, Leicester City and former club Tottenham Hotspur were all interested in the English winger, with Dortmund also keen to sign him as a replacement for Jadon Sancho.
Madueke has scored in both of his league appearances this season, though he couldn’t prevent his club from crashing out of the Champions League on Tuesday at the hands of Portuguese side Benfica.