Whyte’s doctor has explained his shoulder injury had been a long-standing issue which was aggravated in sparring on Monday, and the ‘Body Snatcher’ will need recovery and rehabilitation
Dillian Whyte’s doctor has explained the Briton will make a full recovery from the shoulder injury which forced him to withdraw from his bout with Otto Wallin.
The heavyweight was set to face the Swedish contender in London next weekend with victory needed to set up a clash with Tyson Fury.
But the 33-year-old has been forced to pull out of the bout after suffering a shoulder injury in training camp.
And his doctor Harjinder Singh is confident that the issue can be fixed with rehabilitation and recovery and will not need more urgent treatment.
“Dillian sustained a shoulder injury during training in preparation for his planned fight on October 30 2021, which I have assessed and confirmed with diagnostic imaging,” Singh said.
“I have treated the injury, but the injury will unfortunately prevent him from fighting in October. With immediate rest, physiotherapy and rehabilitation there should be no enduring concerns.”
Whyte has been heavily linked with a shot at his domestic rival Fury since the ‘Gypsy King’ progressed through his trilogy with Deontay Wilder.
He currently holds the status as WBC interim champion with the governing body set to rule on his position in the coming days after his withdrawal.
But Whyte has revealed he is “devastated” after planning to dismiss Wallin in the early rounds.
“I am devastated as I had a great camp, was in great shape, and had great sparring,” said Whyte. “I was looking forward to knocking Wallin out and would have done so in the first half of the fight.
“I am devastated about not being able to fight on October 30 but I want to thank everyone for all of their support.”
Whyte has been awaiting a title shot at the illustrious green and gold belt since 2017 after earning the silver champion status.
And he is desperate to enforce his shot demanding that the WBC tackle Fury with tougher restrictions if he opts against the showdown.
Who wins in a potential bout- Tyson Fury or Dillian Whyte? Let us know in the c omments section below.
But Wallin’s promoter Dmitry Salita has confirmed that he will appeal to the WBC for the all-British showdown to be off the cards next and instead reschedule Whyte’s bout with Wallin.
“It’s very disappointing,” Salita told Sky Sports. “If it is an injury, then he should heal, and they should reschedule this event. That would be the fair thing to do.
“It would not be fair to the sport of boxing for Dillian Whyte to have an injury, whatever it is, and as a result of that, to be able to be mandated to fight Fury.
“Otto is ready to go to the UK today. He had a complete training camp and this fight guarantees a lot of attention and it was truly the right eliminator for the fight with Fury.
“The fight has to be rescheduled for a later date and the winner of that fight should fight Tyson Fury. Anything else would be unfair to the sport of boxing, and unfair to Otto Wallin. We’re definitely going to petition the WBC to make a decision.”
Whyte has now been requested by Wallin to provide medical proof of his injury after withdrawing from the bout.