Dumbarton Accies return to action with 2-2 draw

Accies boss Michael Dickie refused to be too harsh on his side as they returned to action for the first time in 2021 with a draw.

First-half strikes from Sam Degg and Callum Shipcott had Accies ahead at half-time, but they were forced to settle for a point thanks to Cameron Harkin’s late equaliser.

And boss Dickie was pleased with his side’s performance as they drew 2-2 with St Joseph’s.

He said: “We had chances to put ourselves 3-1 ahead which, had we taken one, I think would have led to us winning the game.

“I can’t be too harsh on the players though, they played well in phases throughout the match.”

The match started evenly with both sides putting in heavy, but fair, challenges in the middle of the park in an attempt to gain a foothold in the game.

It was St Joseph’s who gained the advantage after 11 minutes when a deflected shot landed perfectly into the path of Ryan Forrester inside Accies’ box, and the forward finished powerfully.

Accies then created a couple of clear opportunities, David Goodwin hit the side netting with an attempt and Andrew Burton evaded his marker excellently but saw his shot saved equally excellently by Scott Urquhart.

Accies’ pressure paid dividends after 40 minutes. Defender Sam Degg hit a thunderous shot from at least 30 yards. The shot took the slightest of deflections on route to goal, which wrong-footed Urquhart. The keeper did get a full hand on the ball, but the power was such that the ball entered the net.

Callum Shipcott then gave Accies the lead just before half-time. A long ball saw Shipcott released and the attacking midfielder wasted no time in dispatching the ball into the net.

In the second period Accies’ were made to pay for missed opportunities however as, late on, Cameron Harkins levelled directly from a corner to ensure a share of the spoils.

For more local news, click here

Most Related Links :
todayuknews Governmental News Finance News

Source link

Back to top button