News

Charles did give Harry and Meghan ‘substantial sum’ despite ‘cut off’ claims

Prince Charles continued to fund Prince Harry and Meghan with a “substantial sum” during their transition from royal life in the US.

Harry claimed in March his family “literally cut me off” when he moved in early 2020, months before he and wife Meghan struck deals with Netflix and Spotify reportedly worth £89million.

But Clarence House accounts covering the year from April 2020 reveal Charles supported both his sons and their wives to the tune of £4.5m.

It is unclear how much went to the Sussexes but a senior Clarence House spokesman said yesterday it was “substantial”.

What is your view? Have your say in the comment section

Prince Harry and Meghan are interviewed by Oprah Winfrey

He added: “That funding ceased in the summer of last year. The couple are now financially independent.”

The Duke of Sussex told Oprah Winfrey in an interview in March: “[The Netflix deal] was suggested by somebody else by the point of where my family literally cut me off financially, and I had to afford security for us.

“[They cut me off] in the first quarter of 2020.”

Asked whether these two accounts were at odds, the spokesman said: “All I can tell you are the facts.”

Separately, the annual Sovereign Grant report, out today, reveals Harry and Meghan have paid the full £2.4m cost of refurbishing Frogmore Cottage in the Windsor Castle grounds.

The grant is funded by profits from the Crown Estate.

Follow all the latest royal news by signing up to one of the Mirror’s newsletters

The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall are shown around by Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber during a visit to the Theatre Royal Drury Lane on Wednesday
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall are shown around by Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber during a visit to the Theatre Royal Drury Lane on Wednesday

There is no update on the probe into bullying allegations made by Meghan.

Meanwhile, Charles and Camilla toured the Theatre Royal Drury Lane in London with owner Andrew Lloyd Webber to hear about its recent £60million refurbishment.

Charles asked when the stage show Frozen might open and Lord Lloyd Webber joked about Covid delays: “Probably 2040,” to which Charles replied: “It’s what we call ‘put on ice’.”



Most Related Links :
todayuknews Governmental News Finance News

Source link

Back to top button